Current:Home > ScamsConnecticut health commissioner fired during COVID settles with state, dismissal now a resignation -CapitalCourse
Connecticut health commissioner fired during COVID settles with state, dismissal now a resignation
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 19:38:23
Connecticut’s Department of Public Health has reached a settlement agreement with the agency’s former commissioner, who was fired in the first weeks of the coronavirus pandemic. She had accused Gov. Ned Lamon of discriminating against her, a Black woman, by elevating several white people to lead the crisis response.
The agreement, signed on Monday, settles a federal lawsuit filed last year by Renee Coleman-Mitchell, who was ousted on May 12, 2020. While admitting no wrongdoing or violating state or federal law, the state agreed to pay the former commissioner $200,000. The bulk of the money, $160,000, covers “compensatory damages for emotional distress, personal physical injuries, and physical sickness” in connection with her dismissal.
The remaining $40,000 will cover her legal fees and costs.
The agreement also stipulates the state will pay $1,249 to the Connecticut Department of Labor to resolve an unemployment compensation benefits overpayment Coleman-Mitchell had received in May 2020 that she was not eligible for under state law. Additionally, Coleman-Mitchell agreed not to pursue further litigation in the matter or apply for employment in the future with the Connecticut Department of Public Health.
Coleman-Mitchell’s attorney, Cynthia Jennings, declined to comment on the settlement when reached by phone. Adam Joseph, a spokesperson for Lamont, said in a statement: “We are pleased to have reached this settlement. We believe the settlement speaks for itself and wish Ms. Coleman-Mitchell the best.”
In her original lawsuit, Coleman-Mitchell said she was never provided severance pay or consideration for another position as promised by Lamont, a Democrat, when she was removed as commissioner. She said last year she was unable to find another job because of the damage done to her reputation. Under the agreement finalized Monday, the reason for Coleman-Mitchell’s departure from state government will now be listed as “resigned in good standing,” rather than “unclassified appointment discontinued.”
Coleman-Mitchell was among dozens of state and local public health leaders around the U.S. who resigned or were fired in the first months of the COVID-19 outbreak as local governments navigated politics surrounding mask-wearing, lockdowns and infection data.
In 2020, Lamont did not say publicly why he was replacing Coleman-Mitchell with Deidre Gifford, then-commissioner of the state Department of Social Services. At the time, a state official said Lamont removed her for several reasons, including being slow to act on a plan to protect nursing homes from the virus and refusing the previous year to publicly release school-by-school vaccination rates. The official was not authorized to disclose the information and spoke on condition of anonymity.
Coleman-Mitchell said the governor told her that her removal had nothing to do with her job performance and that he had decided to move in a different direction.
“Governor Lamont’s ‘different direction’ was biased and discriminatory and simply on the basis that he did not prefer to have an older African-American female in the public eye as the individual leading the state in the fight against COVID-19,” the lawsuit read.
In the lawsuit, Coleman-Mitchell said she had raised concerns about infections in nursing homes during the first week of March 2020 but her warnings were met with opposition by Lamont and his administration. By firing her, she said, Lamont insinuated she failed in the response to the pandemic, and the lawsuit cited what it called “the thousands of elderly nursing home illnesses and deaths that needlessly occurred as a result of Governor Lamont’s failure to act in a timely manner.”
veryGood! (28413)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- DeSantis, longtime opponent of state spending on stadiums, allocates $8 million for Inter Miami
- Nearly 1 in 4 Americans is deficient in Vitamin D. How do you know if you're one of them?
- 1000-Lb. Sisters' Tammy Slaton Shares Glimpse at Hair Transformation
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Will Steve Martin play Tim Walz on 'Saturday Night Live'? Comedian reveals his answer
- Ohio woman claims she saw a Virgin Mary statue miracle, local reverend skeptical
- Former Uvalde schools police chief says he’s being ‘scapegoated’ over response to mass shooting
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Katy Perry Reveals Orlando Bloom's Annoying Trait
Ranking
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Pocket-sized creatures: Video shows teeny-tiny endangered crocodiles hatch
- France advances to play USA for men's basketball gold
- Debby bringing heavy rain, flooding and possible tornadoes northeast into the weekend
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Fire destroys landmark paper company factory in southwestern Ohio
- 2 arrested in suspected terrorist plot at Taylor Swift's upcoming concerts
- Doomed crew on Titan sub knew 'they were going to die,' lawsuit says
Recommendation
Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
2024 Olympics: Why Fans Are in Awe of U.S. Sprinter Quincy Hall’s Epic Comeback
Philippe Petit recreates high-wire walk between World Trade Center’s twin towers on 50th anniversary
DeSantis, longtime opponent of state spending on stadiums, allocates $8 million for Inter Miami
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Jelly Roll’s Wife Bunnie XO Faced “Death Scare” After Misdiagnosed Aneurysm
Tennis Star Rafael Nadal Shares Honest Reason He Won’t Compete at 2024 US Open
US jury convicts Mozambique’s ex-finance minister Manuel Chang in ‘tuna bonds’ corruption case